Monmouth County Green Card Attorney

Green Card Lawyer in Freehold, NJ

A Green Card is a document that allows an immigrant to permanently live and work in the United States. Also known as a Permanent Resident Card, a Green Card can be obtained after fulfilling requirements such as getting a sponsor to file a petition on your behalf, filing an application, and attending certain interviews. If you are successful, you could become a lawful permanent resident. Permanent residents need to carry their Green Card at all times. If you choose to pursue citizenship, getting a Green Card is an important step. Detzky, Hunter & DeFillippo, LLC recognizes the significance of obtaining a Green Card. If you are eligible, we would be honored to guide you through the process. For a consultation or to discuss the process of becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States, contact Detzky, Hunter & DeFillippo, LLC.

Am I eligible for a Green Card?

The first step in the process of obtaining a Green Card is to find out if you are eligible. The requirements vary and depend mostly on the immigration category you are applying under. For example, you may be eligible for a Green Card through your familial relationship, employment position, or status as a refugee or asylum seeker. For some of these reasons, you may need someone to sponsor you, namely under the family or employment category. Under other circumstances, you may be able to self-petition. In addition, most people will need to have a qualifying petition filed and approved, there must be an immigrant visa immediately available, and the applicant must be admissible to the United States (a term that means you do not pose a threat in some way to citizens). In order to accomplish this task in the United States, you will go through a process called an Adjustment of Status. Outside of the United States, you would go through consular processing.

A simplification of the process

For many, the process starts with a petition, whether that is through a qualifying relationship or not. Once your petition is approved, you can file a Green Card application or visa application with the Department of State.

Living in the United States: If you are in the United States and a visa number becomes available to you, you will apply to adjust your status by completing an I-485, submit the filing fees, submit evidence and supporting documents to prove eligibility, and filing the form. Once complete, you will likely need to attend an interview, provide biometrics, and satisfy other requirements.

Living outside of the United States: Living outside of the United States and applying for a Green Card is quite different. This is called consular processing and involves much of the same process, but being done overseas and includes filing a petition, waiting for a decision, going to an interview, providing biometrics, supplying evidence of admissibility, and waiting for a Green Card.

The benefits of a Green Card

Having a Green Card provides a person with endless possibilities that were not available before. This includes applying for a Social Security Card and a Driver’s License, benefitting from research grants, taxation benefits, insurance coverage, social security benefits, retirement benefits, and health benefits, to name a few. In addition, a Green Card allows its holder to travel abroad and within the United States freely, sponsor relatives, and pursue citizenship. While other, nonimmigrant visas are for a limited time, a Green Card is a permanent status.

Contact an experienced Monmouth County Immigration Attorney

If you hope to gain a lawful permanent resident status, you will need a Green Card. Detzky, Hunter & DeFillippo, LLC is an experienced Monmouth County Immigration Law Firm ready to help. This is a significant step that can open many doors for you. Our firm recognizes how significant this is and we will guide you every step of the way. For a consultation with our firm, contact Detzky, Hunter & DeFillippo, LLC

Read Our Latest Blogs & News

  • What is the Meeting of Creditors?
    Read More
  • Adjustment of Status in the United States
    Read More
  • What is the Automatic Stay?
    Read More

Contact Detzky, Hunter, and DeFillippo, LLC

If you need an attorney, you should contact a lawyer who listens, counselors who care. Please fill out our form to discuss your case with a dedicated team of professionals.