Michael L. Detzky has been providing prompt, quality legal services to individuals and businesses for nearly 40 years. Ever since he opened his own law office in 1983, he has been dedicated to excellence in the practice of law and is proud to honor his motto of being, “A lawyer who listens and a counselor who cares.” He realized early on in his legal career that it was simply not possible to engage in every conceivable area of the law and do it well, so he decided to concentrate on a few core practice areas, including Consumer and Business Bankruptcy, Immigration and Naturalization and Real Estate.
He served as a member of the private panel of Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustees in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey in Trenton for over 15 years and has lectured and served as an instructor on bankruptcy and immigration law for the United States Navy, the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, the New Jersey State Bar Association and the Monmouth County Bar Association.
Mr. Detzky brings a unique element to bankruptcy law practice. He reviews every potential case with the trained eye of a former Bankruptcy Trustee and identifies potential areas of concern and problems BEFORE the case is ever filed with the Court.
He graduated from Rutgers College in NJ with Highest Honors in 1975 where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and earned his law degree from Rutgers Law School in 1978.
He is currently a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association, the Monmouth County Bar Association, the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys and the American Immigration Lawyers Association. In addition, he is a former trustee of the Monmouth Bar Association and a serving member of the District IX Ethics Committee for Monmouth County.
Mr. Detzky served in the United States Navy Reserve Judge Advocate General’s Corps. for 30 years. He retired as a CAPTAIN in January 2013 and was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal, Gold Star in Lieu of Second Award by the President of the United States. He brings to the private practice of law the Navy core values of Honor, Courage, and Commitment instilled in him during his long military career.
He is admitted to practice in New Jersey, New York and the U.S. District Court for New Jersey and the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York as well as the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Court of Criminal Appeals for the Armed Forces.
Michael Detzky has written a chapter for the publication, Inside the Minds, Trends in Consumer Bankruptcy Filings, Aspatore Books 2010. His chapter, the first one in the publication, is entitled, Current Challenges and Strategies for Chapters 7 and 13 and discusses changes he has observed in his bankruptcy practice since the enactment of the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention & Consumer Protection Act of 2005. Although primarily intended for other lawyers, there is a wealth of information for consumers contemplating bankruptcy as well.
Michael has been a frequent guest commentator on FOX NEWS on criminal military and immigration issues.
Areas of Practice
- Bankruptcy Law
- Immigration and Naturalization
- Military Law and Courts Martial Defense
- Real Estate
- Traffic Matters & Municipal Court
- Criminal Law
- New Jersey, 1978
- New York, 1984
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1978
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1984
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, 1986
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey School of Law –Newark, New Jersey, 1978
- Rutgers College, Brunswick, New Jersey, 1975
- Honors: With Highest Honors
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Honors: National Collegiate Honor Society
- Lecturer and Instructor, Bankruptcy Matters, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Education Legal Education
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, 1983 – 1984
- Monmouth County Bar Association
- American Immigration Lawyer’s Association
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
Past Employment Positions
- Detzky & Hunter, LLC, 2006-2016
- The Law Offices of Michael L. Detzky, Esq., 1983-2006
- Member, Private Panel of Ch. 7 Bankruptcy Trustees for the District of New Jersey 1984-1999
- Hon. Milton B. Conford, Presiding Judge for Administration for the Appellate Division of New Jersey Superior Court, Clerk, 1978 – 1979