How to Get a Green Card in the United States

People around the world wish to come to the United States for a variety of reasons. They may be for a family, job offer or employment, refugee or asylum status, and more. For a foreign individual to enter the United States, they must have the right documentation. In order to have permanent residence status, one must apply for the United States Permanent Resident Card, also known as a “Green Card,” in reference to its color. A Green Card allows a foreign individual to come to the United States in order to live and work permanently within the country. If you wish to apply for a Green Card, an experienced attorney can guide you through the process.

Am I Eligible?

Immigration laws in the United States allow for individuals to apply for Green Cards in several different ways. When applying for a Green Card, an individual must meet certain criteria in order to be eligible. The applicant must fall under one of the various criteria categories in order to apply. The categories for eligibility are:

  • Family-Based: This type of green card is for immediate U.S. relatives. It may include parents, spouses, and unmarried children under the age of 21.
  • Job or employment-based: This type of green card is available to people that wish to become immigrants due to a job offer or employment in the United States.
  • Refugee or asylum: This green card available to immigrants who were admitted to the United States as refugees or a spouse/child of a refugee. These individuals are able to apply for a Green Card one year after they entered the country. Those who are granted asylum or a spouse/child of an asylee have the same option to do so.
  • Special programs

The Process

It is important to understand that the process of applying and being approved for a Green Card can take months or even more than a year. The entirety of the process is long and requires a great amount of patience. During the approval process, the applicant’s character is thoroughly studied and their identity must be verified. An interview with the applicant will also be conducted by an immigration officer. Individuals who are petitioning for a Green Card as a spouse are required to provide an immigration officer with proof of a valid marriage.  

The majority of Green Card applicants typically are required to provide an affidavit of support. This is a form filled out on their behalf by a sponsor during the application process. The sponsor takes financial responsibility for the applicant through proof that the individual can financially support themselves when they are admitted to the United States as a permanent resident. This is done to make sure the applicant would not rely on welfare or any other benefits of the country if they are approved for a Green Card.

Contact our Firm

If you or someone you know is looking to apply for a Green Card to enter the United States, contact Detzky, Hunter & DeFillippo, LLC. today.

Detzky, Hunter & DeFillippo, LLC is an experienced law firm that has proudly served clients across New Jersey for decades from their convenient locations in Freehold and Somerville. If you need strong legal guidance, contact us today to schedule a consultation. We are lawyers who listen, counselors who care.

Read Our Latest Blogs & News

  • What is the Meeting of Creditors?
    Read More
  • Adjustment of Status in the United States
    Read More
  • What is the Automatic Stay?
    Read More

Contact Detzky, Hunter, and DeFillippo, LLC

If you need an attorney, you should contact a lawyer who listens, counselors who care. Please fill out our form to discuss your case with a dedicated team of professionals.