What schools make me eligible for a student visa?

Education is an important aspect of someone’s life in order to create a successful future. Individuals in the United States have a wide variety of opportunities that can educate them. Whether this includes college or trade school, student can become informed of a certain topic and use that as a basis for creating a career. School can help students learn more about themselves and what they want to do with their lives. It helps them form opinions and become more intelligent. Individuals in other countries may also have the opportunity to gain an education in the United States. With the approval of a student visa, they can enter the country and go to school. This can help them prepare for a successful future and shape their lives.

There are two types of student visas that individuals can gain. If they are planning on attending a university, college, high school, seminary, conservatory or private elementary school, they should apply for an F visa. If they are planning to attend a vocational or other non-academic institution, then they should apply for the M visa. Based on the institution they are planning to attend, they can decipher which visa better fits their education. This helps to categorize students based on the education they are intending to receive.

Are there other requirements?

There are a few requirements needed to show that a student is eligible for a student visa. Before choosing if the M or F visa is appropriate, you must be accepted by a Student and Exchange Visitor program approved school. After that, you will apply for the appropriate visa based upon your school preference. Visas can be requested through an embassy, consulate or even online. Once the application is completed for the student visa, an interview will be scheduled to review more in-depth information about your student visa and reasoning for one. Some interviews may not be necessary based on the individual applying for the student visa. If the interviewee is under 13 years old or over 80 years old, they may not have to attend an interview session. This decision is based upon the consular officer.

How do I prepare for the interview portion of the process?

Preparing for your interview can include a lot of paperwork. There are certain documents that you should bring to the interview to be reviewed. This can include a passport that will be eligible for six months beyond the stay period, an application fee receipt, the I-20 form and a certificate of eligibility for an F-1 or M-1 visa. A photo of yourself  and a nonimmigrant visa application can also be viewed at the time of the interview. Some interviewers may also ask for transcripts, diplomas, degrees or any certificates you may have received. Upon presentation of the documents and the conclusion of the interview, the interviewer will decide if the applicant is granted the visa that they desire to enter the U.S. for schooling.

Detzky, Hunter & DeFillippo, LLC is an experienced law firm that has proudly served clients across New Jersey for decades from their convenient locations in Freehold and Somerville. If you need strong legal guidance, contact us today to schedule a consultation. We are lawyers who listen, counselors who care.

Read Our Latest Blogs & News

  • Do I qualify for an H-1B visa?
    Read More
  • Can I get asylum in the United States?
    Read More
  • Which bankruptcy process involves liquidation?
    Read More

Contact Detzky, Hunter, and DeFillippo, LLC

If you need an attorney, you should contact a lawyer who listens, counselors who care. Please fill out our form to discuss your case with a dedicated team of professionals.